307-311 Rivermont Ave

  • Lower Rivermont
  • Education
  • Business
Property Name
Piedmont Center
Date Built
J. M. B. Lewis
W. K. Barger
Style & Architectural Description
Colonial Revival. The 2-story, 5-bay gable-roofed office building. Main blocks features a gable-end entrance with a 2-story pedimented portico supported by Ionic columns. Details include modillion cornice, rusticated stone quoins, and plaster belt course. A 4-bay wing faces Rivermont Avenue and features a 1-story, 3-bay shed-roofed porch. Building now serves as office space. The interior has been altered. Alteration in 1927. Converted to J. E. Fauber Funeral Home, and, in recent times, into office space.
  • 1907-1927 Piedmont Business College
  • 1927-1960 J. E. Fauber Incorporated (Funeral Directors and Chapel)
  • 1961-1988 Virginia Funeral Chapel Incorporated
  • 1988 Whitten Funeral Chapel Inc.
  •  1988-1996 Gateway Partners
  • 1996-Present Nancy B. Marion
Anecdotal Information
Piedmont Business College opened in Lynchburg around 1888 and offered classes in shorthand and secretarial skills, as well as accounting and bookkeeping. The school moved to new quarters on Rivermont Avenue around 1903. It advertised in the 1913 publication "Here's Lynchburg" as a successful institution, with numerous satisfied graduates. The school apparently closed at this location in the mid 1920s. In 1927 the building was sold to Fauber Mortuary Company, which remodelled the building and added the present two-story portico. Architect for the remodelling was J. Everett Fauber. This property is currently the Piedmont Center.


Friends of Rivermont Inc. is the sole owner of this website and reserves the right to decide matters of content.

Contact Us

Gerard Sherayko

Department of History

Randolph College
2500 Rivermont Avenue
Lynchburg, VA 24503