1206 Rivermont Ave

  • Lower Rivermont
  • Business
1206 Rivermont Ave
Property Name
Bad Dog Garage
Date Built
Heard & Cardwell
Hamilton Brothers
Style & Architectural Description
Early 20th-century commercial. 1-story, 3-bay wide, 5-bay deep, concrete-block commercial building with brick veneer on main facade and west facade. Cornice composed of brick dentils with scallop-trimmed metal hood. Main entrance is flanked by 3-light sidelights.
  • 1927-1947 Unknown
  • 1947-1960 Emma H. Hancock
  • 1960-1976 Martha B. Hancock
  • 1976-1988 Peter John Gregores
  • 1988-1995 G & G Video Incorporated
  • 1995-1997 Christine M. Gambone
  • 1997-2004 Christian M. & Anne P. Gambone
  • 2004-2006 Keith L. Mann & Jason E. Brown
  • 2006-2011 Avenue Arts LLC
  • 2011-2013 Norton J. Wilder Sr.
  • 2013-Present Peter Bowman 
Anecdotal Information
According to the Lynchburg City Directory, predating the erection of the current building, from 1902-1926 this was the address of the Rivermont Avenue Baptist Church. The current building, erected in 1927, has served a variety of uses including from 1927-1935 Bibee's Busy Stores grocers, from 1936-1938 Piggly Wiggly Anderson Co. branch grocers, in 1940 Dowdy H. Marshall grocers, from 1946-1953 Herbert L. Curlee Commercial Refrigerators, from 1956-1961 CR Hudgins Gold & Silver Plating, from 1964-1965 James River Press Inc., from 1965-1987 Coleman & Bradley Printers, in 1966 Coin Stamp, and from 1988-1999 G&G Amusement Vendors and Video Inc. More recently the building served as Avenue Arts, an art studio and gallery. After being vacant for several years, the building is now home to Bad Dog Garage.


Friends of Rivermont Inc. is the sole owner of this website and reserves the right to decide matters of content.

Contact Us

Gerard Sherayko

Department of History

Randolph College
2500 Rivermont Avenue
Lynchburg, VA 24503