2711 Rivermont Ave

  • Business
  • Upper Rivermont
  • Education
Property Name
The Columns/Randolph College Admissions Office
Date Built
Pendleton S. Clark
C.W. Hancock & Sons
Style & Architectural Description
Colonial Revival. 2 1/2-story, 3-bay double-pile dwelling with a complex side-gable jerkin-head roof with a projecting bay and overhanging gable end. Shingle used in gable ends. Facade was rebuilt in the 1940's in the Colonial Revival style with a 2-story portico supported by 4 large wood posts. House mostly clad in aluminum siding. Extensive alteration in 1940.
  • 1891-1936 Unknown
  • 1936-1939 W.S. Mundy
  • 1939-1967 Ella K. Mundy
  • 1967-1979 Katherine A. & Putnam M. Ivey Mundy
  • 1979-1981 John Richard Scott
  • 1981-1990 Allen W. & Fern W. Harvey
  • 1990-2007 Stuart L. & Debra H. McCabe
  • 2007-2014 Moyanne Properties LLC
  • 2014-Present Randolph College 
Anecdotal Information
This address has served many functions over the years. From 1934-1939 this was the location for The College Gate Inn Restaurant. From 1940-1954 it was the much beloved restaurant and hotel, The Columns House Hotel (renamed The Columns Caterers from 1955-1980) known by all who fondly remember it as simply, The Columns. From 1981-1999 it was the Columns Boutique, 2000-2001 the home of Gardeners Journal, 2002-2006 The Columns, 2004 Dubose Designs, 2004-2005, Paperbuzz, and from 2008-2014 Interiors by Moyanne. It is currently Randolph College's Admissions Office.