2711 Rivermont Ave

  • Upper Rivermont
  • Education
  • Business
Property Name
The Columns/Randolph College Admissions Office
Date Built
Pendleton S. Clark
C.W. Hancock & Sons
Style & Architectural Description
Colonial Revival. 2 1/2-story, 3-bay double-pile dwelling with a complex side-gable jerkin-head roof with a projecting bay and overhanging gable end. Shingle used in gable ends. Facade was rebuilt in the 1940's in the Colonial Revival style with a 2-story portico supported by 4 large wood posts. House mostly clad in aluminum siding. Extensive alteration in 1940.
  • 1891-1936 Unknown
  • 1936-1939 W.S. Mundy
  • 1939-1967 Ella K. Mundy
  • 1967-1979 Katherine A. & Putnam M. Ivey Mundy
  • 1979-1981 John Richard Scott
  • 1981-1990 Allen W. & Fern W. Harvey
  • 1990-2007 Stuart L. & Debra H. McCabe
  • 2007-2014 Moyanne Properties LLC
  • 2014-Present Randolph College 
Anecdotal Information
This address has served many functions over the years. From 1934-1939 this was the location for The College Gate Inn Restaurant. From 1940-1954 it was the much beloved restaurant and hotel, The Columns House Hotel (renamed The Columns Caterers from 1955-1980) known by all who fondly remember it as simply, The Columns. From 1981-1999 it was the Columns Boutique, 2000-2001 the home of Gardeners Journal, 2002-2006 The Columns, 2004 Dubose Designs, 2004-2005, Paperbuzz, and from 2008-2014 Interiors by Moyanne. It is currently Randolph College's Admissions Office.


Friends of Rivermont Inc. is the sole owner of this website and reserves the right to decide matters of content.

Contact Us

Gerard Sherayko

Department of History

Randolph College
2500 Rivermont Avenue
Lynchburg, VA 24503